Home > About the eNLVM Project > Video Capturing Student Interactions
After using new materials with students it is helpful to be able to look back at the experience to see what went well and what could be improved. On a computer, software can be used to record the experience as it happens.
CamStudio is a free tool for Microsoft Windows that allows you to record what someone is doing on a computer. In the sections below we describe how you can install and run CamStudio to record student interactions with eNLVM resources. The recorded files can then be viewed later. Possible uses might include analyzing the interaction with the online materials, sharing your experiences with other teachers, and using the videos as a teaching tool in your classes.
To Install CamStudio:
- Open the download page in a web browser.
- Look through the list of server location to find a server near you.
- Click on the icon in the download column.
- If a bar appears at the top of your browser with the text To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..., click the bar and select Download File... in the menu that appears.
- Unzip the file and run the program inside.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
To Use CamStudio:
- Open CamStudio.
- Select the Region option from the Region menu.
- Select the Record audio from microphone option from the Options menu.
- Adjust Your Recording Volume. (See section below for help)
- Click on the red record button.
- Click and drag a rectangle around the area of the screen you want to record (the web browser).
- Allow the student to work with the eModule.
- When the student is finished, click the stop button.
- Specify where to save the AVI movie.
Note: The AVI files that CamStudio creates will be quite large if you record for very long. CamStudio can convert AVI files into Macromedia Flash files, which are much smaller and can be viewed in most web browsers.
To Convert AVI Files to Flash (for smaller files):
- Open SWF Producer. You will find it in the same place you installed CamStudio.
- From the main menu, select File, then Open...
- Find and select the AVI file that you want to convert.
- After the AVI file has been loaded, select File, then Convert to Swf from the main menu.
- A new screen will appear. Click OK.
- Two files will be created: the flash (swf) file, and and html file that can be used to view the swf file.
- When you view the html file you may see a bar at the top of the browser with the text To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options.... To view the movie, click the bar and select Allow Blocked Content...
Adjusting Your Recording Volume:
Choose Sound and Audio Devices.
Choose the Audio panel from the list of tabs at the top.
Click on Volume button in the Sound recording section.
Adjust the volume as appropriate.
- Plug in a microphone and turn it on.
- Open the Control Panel.